Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Thing 7b. Commenting on Blogs

I obviously find the most interest in the controversial topics. I chose an article that came out in the news today titled “USDA official resigns amid race controversy”. Ms. Shirley Sherrod, an employee of the US Department of Agriculture was videoed making what she thought was “owning up, self reflection, or personal growth” on her attitude about racism. It turned out to be self incriminating causing a backlash of hostilities, and eventually leading to her resignation.


In the video clip, she is heard saying that 24 years ago she gave less than stellar performance to a white farmer. At that time, it was difficult for her to help him because there were African American farmers also struggling with their farms who were facing discrimination themselves.

Personally, I think that it’s best not to say things or write things derogatory against yourself; even if you’re a better person for it, even if it happened as in this case 24 years ago. Obviously, more people pounced on the racism than heard her message of personal growth and cultural understanding. She later had an interview with CNN explaining her position, but I think as a federal employee it really hurt her career. I don’t know if she is a racist or not. I know that we have all made cultural errors, either intended or unintended.

Personally, I think the media plays a role in the perceptions of the public who buy into their sensationalism. Her comments did sound racist but they were edited and we did not hear her entire speech. After hearing her explanation in an interview with CNN, it seems maybe she has learned from her mistakes and is a better person for it. So, should she have to sacrifice her entire career under the circumstances?

The blogging experience was vicious. I read A LOT of racist comments at many different levels from mild, to humorous, to deep rooted anger, and ignorance. I also read fewer comments that were compassionate and allowing for cultural mistakes and owning up to and learning from them.

I partially blame the media for the sentiments of all of us. I feel this event was blown out of proportion by the media and could’ve been handled much better instead of creating hostility between the races resulting in furious backlashes. Getting along with others from another culture is difficult enough for many. We don't need the media, who is supposed to be unbiased, spreading unwarranted or edited versions to create rumors and stir up controversy agitating conflict between the races.

One can easily make cultural mistakes as they can also learn and grow from them and become a better person for the experience. For my comment, I received 7 thumbs up and 2 thumbs down, both of whom must have replied. I was considered ‘liberal’ and their viewpoint was on the opposite spectrum from mine. Their thoughts did have merit and is well taken – I couldn’t really argue with their perspective, though I don’t feel the same.

I believe in One Race - the Human Race. We should all put our cultural differences aside and join together to conquer the important issues: financial debauchery, employment in America, our contaminated coastline, and protection of our borders, to name a few.

No comments: