Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Thing #20. Google Docs

I found working within Google Docs a little more difficult than working in the actual MS Word program. There were a lot less options available. Worse yet, my stylus didn’t match up with the screen. So, for the purposes of this assignment, I downloaded a MS Word document for other participants to share in the editing.

I followed the process of sharing with others and inviting collaborators. I allowed for anyone who can access the link can also edit the document. I also had the file sent to myself and received it. I’m really not sure if other participants received the request to share in the revision of the document. When I checked gmail e-mail, it shows sent to self, but it doesn’t show that I sent anything to anyone else. So, if you are a follower and reading this, please let me know if you received a request and feel free to modify the document titled 20 Google Docs Favorite Classroom Things.

Use in the Classroom

1) For use of Google Presentations, I have already used it with my students who created Power Point Presentations of animals and ecosystems. At that time, it allowed me to get the documents that students saved on laptops to my school computer so that I could project their work for all to see during their presentations. I now see that I can gain access and help to edit their documents through the shared function. It would simplify my process. I was downloading the student document to a flash drive, editing providing feedback, then downloading the document back to the computers of students. Google Presentations and Google Docs will allow me to edit student work and we'll both have access. THAT will save me A LOT of time and effort.

2) At the end of the year, 3rd grade team needed to meet about the school supply list for next year. I missed the meeting and the team wanted me to look over it. They gave the sheet to me and it got jumbled up in a pile of one of my stacks of papers. Google Docs could have eliminated this. We could’ve posted the document for all to review, comment, discuss, and edit. It would’ve certainly saved me time and improved my health by reducing my stress as I frantically searched for the lost document.

We could also use the Google Calendar for the computer lab schedule. At the moment, one person is assigned the task, others give their preferred time, he creates the list and everyone gets a copy. Through Google docs, this could take the workload off one person and everyone could just fill in the available space of their choice.

3) I think that I could use Google Maps when we study about communities in Social Studies. I’ll have to find some creative ways to use it instead of just looking up an address.

No comments: