Saturday, July 10, 2010

Thing #7a Google Reader Revisited

OK. Here’s the scoop. I kept checking my Google Reader feeds but nothing really seemed interesting enough to join the conversation. So….I keep up with the news and a lot of interesting things are going on right now.

July 2, I joined the blogosphere of communicators. Of course the topic was controversial – that’s what makes it interesting. I participated in a blog discussing Governor Schwarzenegger’s decision to make all state employees go to minimum wage. I like the thumbs up/thumbs down function. Being the controversial person that I am, I didn’t fare well with the thumbs up. Curious to me because I hate to see 200,000 people have to live on minimum wage in California – not even for a month. Don’t some of the wealthiest people live in California? I guess Governor Schwarzenegger has a lot of fans out there.

The blog was hard to follow and went very fast; there were so many bloggers. I found the activity amusing and intriguing. One concern occurred later in the discussion – someone later referred to my comment and totally misrepresented what I wrote – of course I had clarify my statement twice – one personal response to the blogger and one global response to the cyberblogger population. I can see how things could really get misunderstood here. Many who were following while I was there may have seen his comment and not mine. If they left before they saw my response, they’ll think that I think like him and I don’t. Does it really matter? Maybe not for the common man, but if you’re famous or well known in your profession – you better watch out. I followed for awhile but got distracted and disconnected. LESSONS LEARNED: 1) follow your blogs, 2) read what others say (they could misquote or misrepresent you), 3) reread & rethink anything you blog. 4) don't blog anything that you could later regret, 5) If you want to track your blog, mark the blog, the day, & the time, and 6) If it's important - save what you write.

The next time the inspiration to blog came on July 8. I participated in a blog about the oil spill. I wanted to know who are the state/federal employees who allowed BP to operate without permits (I think they are also responsible – to date, I have not heard who they are) – so I painted a written picture of the gulf coast and then asked. I didn’t get my answer, but I did get a lot of thumbs up. Questions remain. I still want to know who the employees are. Wouldn’t someone tell me if they knew? Has anyone heard the names of these people? HHHMMMM.

Now it’s time to write my comments in my blog. OH NOOOO, I don’t have a clue where I blogged. I didn’t put them on my Google Reader. I searched & searched. I was blogging and don’t even know what site I was blogging on. I’m clueless. I think I found the site, but it had over 12,000 comments. I was surprised because people are still responding today even though it was written July 2. I really did look for mine but never found it. Looking for it required turning only 10 pages of blogs at a time. I searched until I found my day and time. I never saw it – maybe it wasn’t that blog. But WHERE? I tried looking for only a little while for the second blog. Still, I cannot locate my blogging experience. So, I’m off to another blog – this time I’ll mark where I blogged. LESSON LEARNED: You may not know who you are blogging with but you need to know WHERE you’re blogging.

Today in the Dallas News I read an article published July 8, "Utah, Oklahoma, South Carolina may follow Arizona's lead with tougher illegal immigration laws" . It was an older post so blogging was slow. I had to go back and check ever every 10 - 15 minutes. There were only a few comments being posted intermittently. LESSON LEARNED. I prefer getting on the blog train when the news arrives - I find it much more interesting.

No comments: