Monday, July 19, 2010

Thing #18 – You too can YouTube





Two videos that would help students to learn about shapes are a song titled Polygon by Pete Weatherall and a theater arts video clip titled Polygon Movie by Mrs. Yollis’ Class. Both of these YouTube clips would be highly motivating to students, and they offer suggestions and possibilities for our class to create a song or theater arts for learning a particular topic in math or other content area.



Panama City Renaissance School in Panama City, Florida. Kids at this US school are learning globally, cultural and language in content areas of - math, science, language arts, history, geography, art, music, community service. Kids start learning Algebra in K, "real" chemistry and biology in 3rd grade and speak English, Chinese and Spanish. I would be interested in visiting this school to see what approach they use for student success at such high levels.





For fun I chose two videos. First, there was a video clip of photographs of animals set to music. Very Funny Cats and Dogs and Other Animals by Fuggedaboudit in Oosterbeek, Holland. This is a selection of photographs with words attached to what we might think animals say. Music in the background adds to the dimension and fun in the video clip. I also see dialect and voice in this video, both the manner in which words are written AND the way in which it is said. I also searched Funny animals and chose, Cats & Dogs. The stupidest animals on the planet. I don’t like the title as I believe cats & dogs are extremely intelligent. I liked seeing a conglomeration of cats & dogs in one video clip. So what’s your favorite? Cats or Dogs?



I like to draw, so the How-To that I chose was How to Draw a Phoenix step by step from dragoart.com. I also created a photo book in Thing #14 using MixBook.com I might include a few of my own drawings so I chose the following video clip to show me how to draw a blue jay titled Blue jay on TegakiE which shows the progression of a drawing of a blue jay using a computer drawing program.

No comments: