Thursday, July 22, 2010

Thoughts on Social Networking

I am posting Thing 23 Social Networking in two parts. The 1st part answers your questions. The 2nd part describes some of the most valuable and interesting things that I found for use in my classroom using 21st Century Teaching and Learning skills.

You asked – 1) what were your overall impressions? 2) Did you find any discussions or resources of value? 3) Do you have any ideas for using social networking in your own professional or personal learning, or in classroom learning?

IMPRESSIONS

My overall impressions about social networking are that I am behind the times and I have some catching up to do. WOW. It’s going to be another full year of professional development to learn more about some of these wonderful teaching tools using technology AND actually implementing them in the classroom. It’s going to be important to select internet tools, websites, and software that will meet the needs of my students and that support MISD district goals and curriculum guidelines.

That means more in-depth research to learn more about the available tools and selecting the best for use in my classroom followed by implementation of teaching strategies with my students for 21st Century skills and learning. These are my goals for the coming years. My biggest concern is the lack of computer time my students receive. To fully implement a 21st century classroom, my students need computers in the classroom daily. I’ll work around that issue and find as many ways possible to get computer time for my students.

VALUE

I found numerous groups, forums, discussions, and resources of great value. I followed the Ning link to Classroom 2.0 by Steve Hargadon. I checked out the Groups first then went to the Forums which fascinated and amazed me. You will find a more in-depth discussion of my findings in the next blog.

IDEAS for Social Networking

I could find myself joining a community of bloggers with interests in the visual arts, such as museums, classical & contemporary paintings & sketches, sculpture, architecture, and the many other forms of art and expression. I could also join a community of bloggers who go hiking around the world, studying and observing nature. I’m sure that I’ll be looking into both of these groups in the near future.

I would really like to learn more about the kid friendly software and internet sites available for student use in learning content areas. I’m still looking for some of the video learning games used to teach mathematics, critical thinking, social studies, science, reading, writing, and other content areas addressed in the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills. I found a few sites through all of this training but I know there is so much more out there. What I’ve found so far is enough for now.

Professionally, I think it will take me a year at least to learn all the things 23 Things and Classroom 2.0 have to offer. I’ll be reviewing these ideas throughout the coming year as I plan my lessons. As long as computers are available, they will be in the hands of my students. Hopefully, we will be able to use them 3 – 5 times per week or more.

I already have materials that I can include for continuing my blog, or creating a wiki. I’ll probably start with that then build more social networks throughout the year as things develop.

Keep watching my blog.

You’ll see my students in action!

No comments: